First Baptist Church has a rich history and a long-standing presence in the Village of Wellsville. We are church community made up of members of the community who have a passion for Christ and for the community.
Listed below is an abbreviated history of the journey from then until now:
In the spring of 1911, two Baptist ministers, Rev. John Williams and Rev. William B. Woodson, moved to Wellsville from McDonald, PA. They canvassed the town to see if there were enough people here of Baptist faith to hold service together. Seventeen members began meeting regularly in the home Rev. Williams at 1300 Commerce Street. On October 14, 1911, the First Baptist Church was organized.
The Charter Members:
Rev. & Mrs. John Williams
Mr. & Mrs. John Bush
Rev. & Mrs. William B. Woodson
Mr. John Gravely
Mrs. Rose Leftwich
Mr. Homer Scott
Mr. & Mrs. Clarence Scott
Mrs. Ruth & Lizzie Brown
Mrs. Annie Croons
Miss Christine Williams
Mr. Ed Roan
Mr. Otis Huff
Rev. John Williams was elected to be the first pastor. He served until early 1913
Rev. William Woodson, one of the charter members, became pastor when Rev. Williams resigned. Twenty-four more were added to the church and the first baptizing was in the Ohio River at 18th Street.
The first Deacon Board was formed of five members:
Mr. John Bush, Chairman, Mr. James Giles, Mr. James Mosley, Mr. Homer Scott, Mr. Julius Robinson
The first Officers of the church:
Mr. Ben Travers, Sr. Church Clerk
Mr. Edward Leftwich Treasurer
Mrs. McKeever Organist
Mrs. Milly Martin First Mother of the Church
The Pastors of First Baptist Church:
1911-1913 Rev. John Williams
1913-1917 Rev. William B. Woodson
1919-1920 Rev. C. W. Hopewell
1921-1925 Rev. George White
1926-1926 Rev. A. L. Lasta
1926-1931 Rev. Edwin Smith
1934-1947 Rev. William Oglesby
1948-1951 Rev. J. B. Williams.
1952-1955 Rev. L. S. Jones followed.
1956-1961 Rev. William B. Carswell.
1961-1964 Rev. John Maiden at the Rev. Carswell.
1968-1970 Rev. Eddie Arrington.
1971-1979 Rev.Jeremiah Hunter
1980-2013 Rev. Roosevelt Thompson, Jr
2013-2014 Rev. Hubert D. Clardy
2015-present Pastor Darren J. Rogers
In 2003, The Food Pantry was added as a ministry of the church. The Food Pantry provides food to those in the community that are in need. All of the Food Pantry workers are volunteers who are members of various churches throughout the Village.